Classes of hosting services
A hosting solution suggests keeping and/or sharing specific content on a server managed by a web hosting provider. There are different kinds of hosting services utilized for various ends, so let's have a glimpse at them. In this way, you can pick what you want, on the basis of whether you wish to run a web portal, e-mail accounts, or to share files with mates and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service provided by some vendors, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only objective is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage plans are frequently supported by showing ads next to the download links, while a timer forces you to await a given interval of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you have a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly incongruous interpretation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would assign the workload between autonomous stacks of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending various site hosting services (mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a sort of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; certain firms offer a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting brand is good if you desire to share an enormous quantity of pics with chums or associates since the solution is usually free. You will get a random link for every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to taking care of your email accounts. Some companies offer web hosting solutions for web sites, but do not provide an email hosting solution. If you desire to get an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to have a website, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can create mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video clip, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this method instead of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video creates a specific amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of videos and several hundred web page visitors, you may have a hard time with your website hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will permit you to run as many video files as you would like without worrying about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to have a site. To some degree, it embodies all of the abovementioned hosting brands since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and e-mail accounts, upload video clips, etc. At Lonex, for example, you can view web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that allow you to have all of the abovementioned services in a single place. There may be limits depending on the type of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are designed for specific content only.